Monday, November 17, 2008

A Lone Voice in the Wilderness

The Wall Street Journal brings us this courtesy of South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford:
I find myself in a lonely position. While many states and local governments are lining up for a bailout from Congress, I went to Washington recently to oppose such bailouts. I may be the only governor to do so.

But I suspect I'm not entirely alone, as there are a lot of taxpayers who aren't pleased with Christmas coming early for politicians. And I hope these taxpayers make their voices heard before Democrats load up the next bailout train for states with budget deficits.

Already, our nation's unfunded liabilities total $52 trillion -- about $450,000 per household. There's something very strange about issuing debt to solve a problem caused by too much debt.

Community bankers tell me that they are now at a competitive disadvantage for being careful about who to lend to, because others that were less disciplined will get a federal bailout. This is also true for states. Those that have been fiscally responsible will pay for or lose out to the big spenders. California increased spending 95% over the past 10 years (federal spending went up 71% over the same period). To bail out California now seems unfair to fiscally prudent states.

Uh oh...
Economic common sense and clear thought.
Responsibility for actions.

Mr. Sanford presents 4 questions that MUST be answered, regardless of on which side of the Bail-Out question you stand.

I must admit, I'm not familiar with Mr. Sanford. But if he continues to put forth true conservative ideas like this, we just might have a place for him come 2012.

No comments: