Sunday, October 24, 2004

Long Live the Detroit News!

In today's editorial discussing its Presidential endorsement, The Detroit News got it right: None of the Above.
They procede to go through a rather lengthy discussion of the pros and cons of Bush and Kerry. While I don't agree with every point made, I do agree with their general tone and conclusions.

For me, John Kerry is a non-issue. It baffles me as to how someone with his record and beliefs could even get nominated. It just demontrates how successful the public school system has been in dumbing-down the average American.

Being a true conservative (not one of these "neo-con nuts ), Bush has been a disaster for me. His tax cut, however meager, was a step in the right direction. The dismanteling of terrorists networks in Afghanastan was totally justifiable. I'm not even against removing Saddam Hussein from power. But thats about where George Bush and I part company.

I think the policy of nation-building is arrogent and in all probability, undoable (especially in an Arab culture). He still fails to directly name the enemy we are facing (militant Islam) and still insists "Islam is a religion of peace". And Bush is still a servant of global government; he actively favors the Law of the Sea Treaty and FTAA (Free Trade Area of the Americas)

And his domestic policy has been an even greater dissappointment. Spending is nuts. He has given greater control of the local schools to the federal government via "No Child Left Behind". The Patriot Act has some problematic details erroding individual liberties. His initiation of the take-over of the pharmacuetical industry by the Feds evolked nary a whimper from the Republicans. The ridiculous regulations regarding overtime pay are an affront to the free market system. He has no policy to stem the mass influx of illegal immigrants. He has waffled in his supposed pro-life stance, stating that it will not be used to help him choose judicial nominees. For those of you waiting for him to get abortion outlawed, don't hold your breath. He can't even get a judicial nominee appointed!

The one major dissapointment I have with The Detroit News editorial is that they ended it at neither Bush nor Kerry deserve their endorsement. But based upon their criteria, there is an alternative; vote "Third" party. Don't give me that nonsense about wasted votes. I'm sick of voting against things. We need to vote FOR something. Nothing will change if we think the only option is Democrat or Republican...both are in existence to perpetuate and expand the State.

Challenge yourself; examine the Libertarian Party platform and the Constitution Party platform. See if you don't fit in better there, than with what's been going on in Washington the past 60 years.
Cast a vote on November 2nd to reflect you. That's what I'm going to do. That way, I'll be able to sleep nights, knowing I did the best thing I could to restore freedom to America.

No comments: